Friday, March 11, 2011

Gas leak hits over 100 in Cuddalore - The Times of India

Gas leak hits over 100 in Cuddalore
TNN,Mar 9, 2011, 06.42am IST

CUDDALORE: More than 100 persons complained of irritation in the eyes, nausea and vomiting after a gas leak from a chemical unit in SIPCOT industrial estate in Cuddalore district on Monday night. Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) additional chief environmental engineer S Balaji told TOI that fire broke out at the stores where chemical bromine and hydrochloric acid were stocked in the industrial unit of Shasun Pharmaceuticals Ltd, leading to poisonous fumes emanating from the unit on Monday night. Scores of residents of nearby hamlets, Kudikadu and Eechangadu, complained of irritation in their eyes, nausea and vomiting and were admitted to the Cuddalore government general hospital.

No comments: